[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
user support & discussion • View topic - Network? Soundfont?

Network? Soundfont?

support, questions, and general discussion about converter (discontinued).

Moderator: tom roscoe

Network? Soundfont?

Postby Guest on Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:24 pm

Hey,

This is great, i've been looking for ways to use older PC's in Audio / midi application
to save them from the skip + make some sounds too.

Just got it up and running, not exactly a guitar midi pickup however will be enough to
set off drum samples in sync or trigger sequences

I love the style and smoothness of your creation.

With all due respect

Could it be possible to include an send midi output/ input via a network work card as well or alternativly to the game port? I understand that this would require a lot of work and could require development of a protocol / client & sever. Could it be possible to send data raw to a network card eg t-base 10 isa intel realtek or 3com card.

That is a big ask but would add an excellent flexibility /future proofing to what is already an awesome program.

Could Soundfonts playback be triggered on awe32/64 altenatively or along with regular midi out?

Thankyou

will be using this live ASAP.

Neil.

Re: Network? Soundfont?

Postby tom roscoe on Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:43 pm

Hey Neil,

Glad you like converter!

Right now there's a bunch of new programs being built up, so its difficult for me to invest much time into further development of converter at the moment... however it's always possible that at some time in the future new functionality may be added...

Guest wrote:Could it be possible to include an send midi output/ input via a network work card as well or alternativly to the game port? I understand that this would require a lot of work and could require development of a protocol / client & sever.

It could be possible to do this, however i'm not aware of a particular standard for midi I/O over ethernet and how that would be beneficial... i would also need to have register-level hardware details for the ethernet card(s) to write drivers for them... however theoretically that information could be figured out from linux driver source code...

How would midi over ethernet be useful? Aside from being a faster interface which would be good..... what would you plug the output stream into?

Could Soundfonts playback be triggered on awe32/64 altenatively or along with regular midi out?

That's also possible..... however the awe-32/64 cards may not support the newer soundfont standards (unsure) so there may be compatibility issues... potentially more complicated and time consuming to implement at the moment than could be afforded... but perhaps eventually.... it is a good idea!

any further thoughts?

Best regards,
tom
urr sound technologies
montreal, canada
tom roscoe

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:44 pm

Hello Tom,

I'm trying to get the hang of using the filters so as to create / setoff diffferent pitches that corrisponds with incomming pitches from a guitar. As a trigger for drum it works well, and easily picked up a conga via mic.

Got an interesting effect with the continuous controller input form audio setting it to patch change, then manually changing patches on my dx7, it wouuld blip the sound from the patch as it was sented messages from the left audio on trigger and then jumpback to the patch set by continuous controller, glitchy!

As for midi via nework, i'd been looking for a way to use a laptop to send midi messages to a processing box (pIII 600 + bs live with kx drivers for low latency )
as any joystick midi input progs i had tried took up lots of cpu resources on the box via polling the game port, and also took up the port that i'd attach my dx7 to.

I found half a dozen solutions midiovernet, midivianet, and some others wich i plan to do a site about, however these are all 9x solutions, however the approach of most are client / server and use tcp/ip to send the hex data.

What about a usb midi i/o i have seen that there dos can be made to handle usb,
then something like midiox or midi translator could be used to route the signal to a program in 9x. Still if i could find a good dos sound font player for sb awe 32 i might be able to use older equipment for the sound generation too.I'm not sure aboue latency though .

As your program functions well in real time adding a soundfont player woulsd be idea
with the facility to either pre load them or load them from within the program.

As for the standards in sound fonts well perhaps newer ones would have to be converted back to appropriate ones with a third party application.

As for further thoughts, perhaps a facility for sending a partial implementation of the navagation menu via parallel por for lcd display, following the headings / current parameter. Then a true rack style unit could be built, for old desktops ie with built in audio & video.

Gee that all sounds like a lot of work. I' m really have to get some beyond rudimentary programing skills if im wanting to make more of a contribution to some of the excellent projects out there.

Regards

Neil

Postby tom roscoe on Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:22 pm

Hey Neil,

Got an interesting effect with the continuous controller input from audio setting it to patch change, then manually changing patches on my dx7, it wouuld blip the sound from the patch as it was sented messages from the left audio on trigger and then jumpback to the patch set by continuous controller, glitchy!

That's an interesting use of the audio to midi conversion :) Thats a lot of patch change messages being sent to your dx7...

As for midi via nework, i'd been looking for a way to use a laptop to send midi messages to a processing box (pIII 600 + bs live with kx drivers for low latency )

ahh ok...

I found half a dozen solutions midiovernet, midivianet, and some others wich i plan to do a site about, however these are all 9x solutions, however the approach of most are client / server and use tcp/ip to send the hex data.

right... ok... so each program / solution isn't using a proprietary stream format but simple raw data over tcp/ip...

What about a usb midi i/o i have seen that there dos can be made to handle usb,
then something like midiox or midi translator could be used to route the signal to a program in 9x.

yeah usb support in dos is possible... again this is something i'd have to research in terms of data streaming standards so it'd be as compatible as possible with as many other software/devices...

As your program functions well in real time adding a soundfont player woulsd be idea
with the facility to either pre load them or load them from within the program.

true.... i guess since i kinda view the output sound quality of creative labs cards as a bit, well, poor, i never really put much thought into that aspect of things (generating sound via soundfonts etc)...

As for further thoughts, perhaps a facility for sending a partial implementation of the navagation menu via parallel por for lcd display, following the headings / current parameter. Then a true rack style unit could be built, for old desktops ie with built in audio & video.

we actually started doing some work on that exact sort of thing several years ago, microcontroller-based surfaces, although that's more james' domain and i suppose i'm not supposed to say too much about it at the moment ;)

Gee that all sounds like a lot of work.

hehehe it is... but definitely worth looking into when i have time (usb/network support and possibly soundfont although i'm not sure how interested i am in that format as i find it a bit limited in terms of capability)....

Good ideas, definitely given me some things to think about even in terms of the new projects we're working on...

take care!
tom
urr sound technologies
montreal, canada
tom roscoe

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:05 am

Hi Tom,

Glad that my ideas can be of some use.

I'm going to get along and try to make some music with this creation of yours

I'll send you anything of interest i make with the help of converter
from Melbourne Australia

regards