[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
user support & discussion • View topic - help configuring "Hardware.cfg"

help configuring "Hardware.cfg"

support, questions, and general discussion about converter (discontinued).

Moderator: tom roscoe

Postby jiraf on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:08 am

i have installed an Opti soundcard , i don´t know its model ... how should i configure "Hardware.cfg" ?

many thanks any help ... anxioustly waitting to try it =)
jiraf

Postby jiraf on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:09 am

... i´ve tried to configure "autoexec.bat" as descrited in the manual , but with no success !

... :/
jiraf

configuration

Postby tom roscoe on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:27 am

hey jiraf,

i need some more information from you regarding the computer you are trying to run converter on.... definitely what model / type of OPTi soundcard you are using, if it is on your motherboard or an actual card, whether it is a pci card, etc...

It should be at least SoundBlaster Pro compatible, if not SoundBlaster 16.... it may require the use of a dos driver to support the soundblaster standard however, so check the manual which came with your soundcard...

In the autoexec.bat file, you would then need the SET BLASTER=xxx xxx etc line, which would tell converter where to find your soundcard.

In other words, if your soundcard is SoundBlaster Pro or Soundblaster 16 compatible, follow the instructions in your soundcards documentation on how to use its soundblaster mode, and then follow the instructions in the converter manual on how to set up converter to use a SoundBlaster card.

Hope that helps!
tom
urr sound technologies
montreal, canada
tom roscoe

Re: configuration

Postby jiraf on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:28 am

thanks your reply

Opti btc1817ds
fcc id : e5x1817

what i´ve set at c:\autoexec.bat
SET BLASTER=AE0C I05 D1 H3 P380

i really don´t know much more about computers to describe it more , i think it´s a Pci card
jiraf

opti soundcard

Postby tom roscoe on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:30 am

Hey jiraf,

ok problem #1: E0C is not a valid soundblaster port address... usually this value would be 220, or either 240 or 260...

(possible) problem #2: change the I05 to I5 on the set blaster line

Ok, i just did some searching on google and found out the following info:

- the card is probably an ISA (P&P) card.
- it should be able to do soundblaster Pro emulation.
- it seems to have an mpu401 midi port on the card.

Try the following:

1] change your SET BLASTER line to the following:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H3 P380

2] in hardware.cfg, choose soundcard mode 3 (mpu-401 only) and see if converter can initialize the mpu-401 port which should be on your soundcard

3] if that doesn't work, change your mpu-401 port to 330 or 300 - in other words:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H3 P330

4] if converter sucessfully loads, and you see the graphics etc, then the mpu-401 port has been successfully initialized. Otherwise, you have the wrong port address in the Pxxx part of SET BLASTER, or the soundcard doesn't have a hardware MPU-401 port and needs a dos driver to emulate it (again, having some sort of manufacturer's documentation on the soundcard is useful here)

5] If soundblaster mpu-401 mode has worked, go back into hardware.cfg and try soundcard mode 6, to see if converter can initialize your soundcard as a soundblaster. Remember to use a valid soundblaster port address, such as:
SET BLASTER=A220 ... ...
or
SET BLASTER=A240 ... ...

etc.

6] If this doesn't work, try to locate dos drivers for your card...

Hope this helps!

If you are able to make this card work, please drop a note here to let me know!

Best of luck,
tom
urr sound technologies
montreal, canada
tom roscoe

drivers for the btc 1817ds card

Postby tom roscoe on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:31 am

hey again jiraf,

try this link:

http://www.btc.com.tw/btc2002_e/sound.html

there are dos drivers there for what i believe is your soundcard (btc1817ds)... at the top of the chart on the webpage (on the row "btc 1817Dx")...

and also below the chart, under "Applications":
1817dos.zip

Hope that helps,

tom
urr sound technologies
montreal, canada
tom roscoe

Re: drivers for the btc 1817ds card

Postby jiraf on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:32 am

i´m having some difficultys , with its configurations
the drivers were already installed , i´ve downloaded from that site , but they are the same that are already installed
i´ve tried
SET BLASTER=A200 I5 D1 H3 P330
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H3 P330
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 H3 P330
SET BLASTER=A200 I5 D1 H3 P300
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H3 P300
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 H3 P300
etc , all alterations were made in both Autoexec.bat and in Hardware.cfg
... with no success
... is the I5 the same as the Mpu401 irq asked in Hardware.cfg ? could be this the problem ? ... 2 as default , should i change it too ?

what i think its weird is that , at one of the help me files of the Opti drivers says that this board can run in SoundBlasterPro mode ... and it sayS that the user should writte at c:\autoexec.bat
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
... a bit confusing

there´s this software Subz3ro Adlib Tracker , thas has more or less the same requirements as this , but i just need to do 1 some small adjustments following the help file instructions , and everythings run ok with this soundboard

... i have an Ess1868 soundboard stopped , do you think i could try replacing it ?

many thanks for your help and attention
jiraf

Re: drivers for the btc 1817ds card

Postby tom roscoe on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:33 am

hey jiraf,

by using soundcard mode 3 in hardware.cfg, converter uses the mpu401 port and irq in the SET BLASTER line, not the address and irq on the mpu-401 specific parameters in hardware.cfg (the last two lines).

If you wanted, you could try changing those two parameters to the address of your mpu-401 port and try it...

in terms of the SET BLASTER line, what the documentation has provided is an older form of the SET BLASTER line... any additional parameters are ignored by software if they aren't used/needed so don't worry...

What was the adjustment you made to enable Subz3ro to work?

what error is converter giving you - unable to initialize mpu-401? soundblaster card not found?

having an incorrect IRQ setting won't prevent converter from loading properly - you just won't be able to use audio or midi input.

If you're getting the "unable to initialize soundblaster card" error, the port address is wrong.

If you're getting the "unable to initialize mpu-401" error, the mpu-401 port address is wrong.

If all else fails, try the Ess1868 card...

good luck,
tom
urr sound technologies
montreal, canada
tom roscoe

Re: Re: drivers for the btc 1817ds card

Postby jiraf on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:34 am

hi Tom

Subz3ro to work
... in the help file

"You may encounter playback problems when you are using some older
soundcard with OPL2 chip or with derived OPL3 chip. In this case, toggle on
the safety OPLx latency (set option "opl_latency" to 1)."

... here , in the .ini file

"opl_latency=0 ; OPLx register writes latency:
; [0] opl3-optimized (recommended)
; [1] 3.3 + 23 æs (use for OPL2 chips or if troubles)"

... the errors lauching Converter
first was just "soundblaster card not found" ... but now "unable to initialize mpu-401" , check yours ...
... than i remembered that all sound card configurations are displayed when windows is initiating , still in Dos i]ve hitted Pause key when this configurations were being displayed and here is what is displayed

"Port Address : 220
Irq Channel : 5
Dma Channel : 1
Mpu-401 Interface : on
Mpu-401 Port Address : 300
Mpu-401 Irq Channel : OFF"

... my c:\autoexec.bat

"mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb po,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H3 P300
SET SOUND16=C:\1817
C:\1817\sndtune
C:\1817\sndinit /b "

..my hardware.cfg

"# 6 = Sound Blaster Pro or clone ..... (( AUDIO INPUT ))

... could the "Mpu-401 Irq Channel : OFF" be the problem ?

... thanks for all Tom
jiraf

Re: Re: Re: drivers for the btc 1817ds card

Postby tom roscoe on Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:36 am

hey jiraf,

ok if the printed i/o settings work with your card with other dos software, then that should be ok... instead of soundcard mode 3, try soundcard mode 6 which is soundblaster pro specific, or soundcard mode 0 which is mpu-401 only and uses the last 2 parameters of the hardware.cfg file.

The Subz3ro setting wouldn't affect converter at all, since it makes no use of the opl / FM chip on any soundcards.

In order to use midi input in converter, your card's mpu IRQ channel should be ON... whether or not the mpu401 port on your soundcard uses a different IRQ than the other (audio) portion of your soundcard is unknown to me, but it is possible it uses an additional IRQ.

If using mode 0 of converter, you will need to update the MPU IRQ parameter (3rd parameter) in hardware.cfg...

This really puzzles me... certainly converter has worked with every combination of port addresses / IRQ channels i've thrown at it... the only thing which is keeping converter from loading is the port address itself for whatever card (soundblaster, mpu-401) you are using - an incorrect IRQ setting won't prevent converter from loading (it will just limit its usefulness).

So my only guess is that the card is not being initialized properly by the opti/btc dos driver / init program when booting into DOS..

ok try two things:

use the following SET BLASTER line in your autoexec.bat (just put a 'rem' in front of the one already in your autoexec):

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

in hardware.cfg, use mode 6 (soundblaster pro audio)

if you still get the "unable to initalize soundblaster" error, change hardware.cfg to use mode 0 (generic mpu-401 only) with the mpu-401 base address parameter set to 300 (as it seems you have it) and try that.

If that doesn't work, i'm not quite sure what will... but it's definitely down to the base addresses right now... and this is a card i'm unfamiliar with, so any quirks it has i can't really advise you on...

what are the card's settings under windows? (control panel -> system -> device settings -> soundcards etc -> resources)

see if those line up with what you are using under dos...

hope you have some luck here! best wishes,
tom
urr sound technologies
montreal, canada
tom roscoe

Next

Return to converter